Opera Repetiteur placement
- January – March 2020 (c. 3 months)
- April – July 2020 (c. 3 months)
- Monday 6th January – Friday 27th March 2020
- Monday 27th April – Friday 3rd July 2020
The module will provide students with the experience to develop technical, stylistic, artistic and intellectual skills which form the basis of working at an advanced level as a repetiteur.
Pianists will work collaboratively throughout all aspects of the preparation and production process of the College’s fully-staged opera (repertoire to be confirmed). They will be mentored throughout by key College staff and they will also have contact with members of Welsh National Opera music staff.
The rehearsal process will mirror industry practice and provide the opportunity for the students to immerse themselves fully in the score, as well as becoming part of the creative team delivering the production.
The technical and musical requirements of playing during the rehearsal process will be supported by 1:1 lessons from experienced professionals in this field.
Opportunity to engage comprehensively with UK working practices, linking with Welsh National Opera through the RWCMD’s Seligman Opera School
Name and place institution:
Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama, Cardiff, UK
Name(s) of the professor(s) of this module:
- Simon Phillippo, Head of Keyboard Performance
- Angela Livingstone, Head of Opera & Vocal Performance
- Martin Constantine, International Chair in Directing
- Alma Sheehan, performance coach
- Music Staff of Welsh National Opera
- Language classes
- 1:1 keyboard lessons
- Conducting lessons (optional)
- Observation of WNO rehearsals and attendance at dress rehearsals (by negotiation on an individual basis)
Minimum and maximum number of EOA students:
1 for each opera production period
- Submission of unedited video, performing 2 contrasting scenes, with vocal lines sung from the keyboard plus one short piano solo of choice (please contact to discuss repertoire, if you need advice)
- Deadline: 1st April 2019
Description of the final examination:
- Continual assessment across project (50%)
- Performance of studio rehearsal (50%)
Module is available within an Erasmus exchange, for students at an advanced level of piano training, either Bachelors or Masters
Academy of music: RWCMD Cardiff
Language training: English