Piano Accompaniment and Opera Coaching – training
ERASMUS students may choose a mobility within a semester:
October 1st – first week of February OR
last week of February – third week of June
communication languages EN/IT
This module guides the student to master the complex and difficult art of the piano accompaniment in opera. This is planned as follows:
- Performance practice and repertoire (individual lessons,on specific operas according to student’s needs and choices, main opera repertoire, analysis, study and practice on chosen opera scores, different (vocal) accompaniment techniques according to different music styles)
- Répétiteur and coach techniques (theoretical and practical lessons on the basso continuo, as a stage-rehearsal accompanist how to play under direction)
- Specialized practice (vocal repertoire: chamber music and opera scores)
- Score playing (reading piano- and orchestra opera scores)
- Practical internship in Singing lessons and Scenic Art lessons (different needs, different skills)
- Participation in Masterclass(es), essays and concerts as a piano accompanist
Classes will be held in Italian and English.
Choice of repertoire according to student’s needs.
Special attention will be given to the study of proper Italian diction and pronunciation with native Italian teachers especially for the recitativo study.
Possible exchange and collaboration with other students of the Conservatory.
A unique opportunity to fully immerse themselves in the rich operatic music culture of the territory, attending places of unique musical interest, within the Conservatory (Musical Section of Libreria Palatina, Boito's Studio and Toscanini's Studio) or in the immediate nearby of it (the Library of the Istituto Nazionale di Studi Verdiani, specialized in 19th century opera and music in general, with particular emphasis on the life and work of Giuseppe Verdi, the Museo dell'Opera, the Casa della Musica, Teatro Regio, etc.).
Riccardo Mascia, Claudia Rondelli, Carmen Santoro (performance practice and repertoire)
Riccardo Mascia, Carmen Santoro (theoretical and practical lessons on the basso continuo)
Luca Sabatino, Carmen Santoro (stage rehearsal accompanist)
Carmen Santoro, Pietro Veneri (how to play under direction)
Raffaele Cortesi, Massimo Guidetti, Nicola Mottaran, Claudia Rondelli, Carmen Santoro (specialized practice)
Stefano Rabaglia, Carmen Santoro (score playing)
- Semester 100 hours
Description of final examination:
30 minutes performance in piano accompaniment of voice (and/or opera scenes)
Upon request a little tour of the main “music treasures" of Verdi's land: the birthplace of Verdi and Villa Sant'Agata , the Toscanini Museum, the world renowned Teatro Regio, the beautiful Teatro Farnese (17th century), the Casa del Suono, etc. Opportunity to join Italian Course lev. A2+B1 in the first semester or English Course level B1 or B2 in second semester.
October is the month of the Parma Verdi Festival. Facilities are offered to enrolled students who want to experience a show at the Teatro Regio and/or other planned locations.
Academy of music: Parma
Language training: Italian