Singing and acting, German/Italian Repertoire
Name and place of institution
Theaterakademie Hamburg, Hochschule für Musik und Theater, Hamburg, Germany.
Period of the EOA module in 2017-2018
October 2nd, 2017 - March 2nd, 2018 (winter semester)
April 02nd, 2018 - July 13th, 2018 (summer semester)
Description of the module
German Repertoire (Lortzing - Mozart – Wagner) and Italian Repertoire (Monteverdi – Mozart – Bellini).
- role studies, ensemble studies; work on recitatives, accurate understanding of texts and sheet music, discussion of style and musical Gestus (gestures/attitude).
- Theatrical and musical performance
- Phonetics, dialogue training.
A small production takes place at the theatre of the Musikhochschule at the end of the winter semester.
At the end of the summer semester, a big opera production is staged with a professional orchestra and conductor, with a total of 9 performances at the academy's own theatre (450 seats).
Speciality of this module in comparison with other courses in Europe
The subject of theatrical and musical performance is taught jointly by the theatrical performance lecturer and the lecturer for role studies. Exchange of views on key issues in music and staging. Interpretation of roles (character development), physical training.
Names of the Professors of this module
Prof. Willem Wentzel (Head of Music), Prof. Siegfried Schwab (German Repertoire), Fausto Nardi (Italian Repertoire), Prof. Philipp Himmelmann,(director), Prof. Florian Leibrecht (director).
Possible extras in addition to the module
- Possible participation in modern music theatre productions.
- A course in MusikTheaterRegie (MTR, music theatre direction).
- A visit to a German language school.
- Exchange and collaboration with MTR students.
Number of EOA students
Min. 1 student, max. 3 students.
Number of teaching/production hours of the EOA module
9 - 14 hours.
Number of ECTS credits within Master's accreditation
Approximately 20 credits
Duration of the EOA module
Winter semester: 19 weeks
Summer semester: 15 weeks
- Application deadline winter semester: May 1st, 2017
- Entrance Examination winter semester: May/June, 2017
- Application deadline summer semester: November 1st, 2017
- Entrance examination summer semester: mid-November, 2017
Please include a link to a video as well as a c.v. with your application.
Description of the final examination
- Theatrical-musical performance of two music theatre scenes (aria and ensemble).
- Participation in an opera production.
Total expenses of the EOA module per student
Module only available within an Erasmus exchange.
Academy of music: Hamburg
Period: winter, summer