Arte Della Scena: Italian recitativo and belcanto vocal style in 18th and 19th-century operas, from Handel to Mozart and Rossini to Verdi
1 October 2018 – 28 February 2019
ERASMUS students may choose an exchange of 3-5 months starting from Oct. 1, 2018. It is possible to agree upon a longer mobility period, extending to July 15, 2019 at the maximum
5-15 vocal students
Advanced Italian pronunciation and diction classes. Analysis and study of characters and librettos. Training of the actor’s body. Stage expression and speaking voice placement. Individual coaching and group work.
Vocal interpretation of full opera scenes, mostly concentrating on the recitativo part (secco, accompagnato, dramatic scene, etc.). Individual coaching and group work. Preparation for final exam and concert production(s). Classes will be held in Italian and in English.
Special emphasis on Italian diction and character & role interpretation taught by native speakers of Italian. Possible assistance and exchange in classes with Italian students working on the same repertoire.
Francesco Torrigiani (actor’s work)
Gianni Fabbrini (vocal coach)
other teachers of the Opera and Vocal department: Donatella Debolini, Ester Castriota, Anna Di Gennaro, Marta Taddei
Subjects (for Erasmus learning agreement):
- Voice and vocal interpretation (Prassi esecutiva e repertorio: canto), 1 weekly 1-to-1 lesson – 9 ECTS
- Vocal repertoire coaching with accompanist (Pratica del repertorio vocale), 1 weekly 1-to-1 lesson – 3 ECTS
- Acting (Seminario “Il corpo vero”), group class (15-30 October), 45 hours, 3 ECTS
- Opera class (Teoria e tecnica dell’interpretazione scenica), group class, 45 hours, 3 ECTS
- Italian language diction (Dizione), group class, 24 hours, 2 ECTS
- Italian language (Lingua italiana), group class, 30 hours, 2 ECTS
- Optional: Choir and vocal ensembles (Musica vocale d’insieme e repertorio corale), group class, 30 hours 2 ECTS
- Optional: Italian Art song interpretation (Musica vocale da camera), group class, 30 hours, 2 ECTS
- Optional: Baroque solo vocal repertoire and Baroque vocal ensemble (Musica d’insieme per voci e strumenti antichi), group class, 30 hours 2 ECTS
Further information: http://www.conservatorio.
Description of final examination:
Performance of a 45 minutes recital (including at least an operatic scene) in front of a jury.
on request, a short programme incl. city tour(s) concentrating on special 'musical' aspects of the city: Palazzo Pitti (where the first opera ever was staged in 1600, Peri's "L'Euridice"), Accademia Bartolomeo Cristofori (historic pianos), Museo degli Uffizi, Galleria dell’Accademia, etc.
Academy of music: Florence
Language training: Italian