Name and place of institution:
Royal Conservatoire, Antwerp – Belgium
Period of the EOA module in 2023 – 2024:
- Around 18-22 March 2024 (TBC) – 5 days short module of presentations and performances (TBC)
- 1-3 months preparation of performances (personal choice between )
Only available for students from ERASMUS+ partner institutions with Student Individual Short Mobility grants
Description of the module:
MUSIC & ART IN THE MIRROR OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS
EXPLORE – CREATE – PERFORM.
Singers, Pianists and Composers will collaborate in this module with the aim to examine, explore and question some of the impacts the notion of “political correctness” is having on the arts and artists in the past and presence.
For the National Socialists, all works of art, cultural styles and musical works that were not in harmony with their own ideal of beauty and understanding of art were considered “degenerate” and were banned, their creators persecuted. We will explore and perform the works of these „forbidden composers“, thereby honoring their legacy.
Together, we will inquire if today art itself is being pushed back within new forms of discrimination and closure instead of challenging the boundaries of what is considered acceptable in social, moral or aesthetic terms. What are the consequences for today’s artistic landscape?
In collaboration with the Composition & Research Department.
- Brundibár – Opera by Hans Krása: Brundibár is a children’s opera by Jewish Czech composer Hans Krása with a libretto by Adolf Hoffmeister, made most famous by performances by the children of Theresienstadt concentration camp in occupied Czechoslovakia. The name comes from a Czech colloquialism for a bumblebee. Written: 1939
- The Passenger (opera)- Opera by Mieczysław Weinberg: It Is a 1968 opera by Mieczysław Weinberg to a Russian libretto by Alexander Medvedev [Wikidata]. Medvedev’s libretto is based on the 1959 Polish radio play Pasażerka z kabiny 45 (Passenger from Cabin Number 45) by concentration-camp survivor Zofia Posmysz. The opera, scheduled for the Bolshoi Theatre in 1968, was not premiered until 2006, when musicians of the Stanislavsky Theatre presented a semi-staging conducted by Wolf Gorelik in the Svetlanov Hall of the Moscow International House of Music on 25 December. Medvedev’s libretto was reworked in 2010 for the first staged performance of the opera at the Bregenzer Festspiele into German, English, Polish, Yiddish, French, Russian and Czech. It has then been performed internationally.
- Il Viaggio Di Roberto – Un Treno verso Auschwitz by PAOLO MARZOCCHI in 2014
Kind of voice:
The course will consist of the following:
- Digital components to be taught previously to the physical mobility. The digital component will be announced soon.
- 5-day intensive mobility in Antwerp
Speciality of this module in comparison with other courses in Europe:
- Unique collaboration between the vocal department, the research department, the composition department and local communities.
- Transversal collaboration between the classical roles of creating – performing – reflecting
Professors involved in this module:
- Susanne Schimmack
- Gary Jankowski
- Michelle Losier
- Anne Cambier
- Sabrina Avantario
- Guest lecturers: TBC
Possible extras besides the module:
Students taking part in this module can request to join additional courses and projects. Please mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Number of EOA students:
5 days: 1-3 EOA students
- 3-4 voice students
- 3-4 pianists
- 2 composers
Number of teaching hours of the EOA module:
- 5 days: 20 hours
- 1-3 months: depending on ECTS
- 5 days: 3 ECT
- 1-3 months: 6-15 ECTS
- Apply through EASY with the clear mention of the EOA-module.
- Application period is from 1 January 2023 till 1 May 2023
- Please find all information here; https://www.ap-arts.be/en/education/music/register#Exchange%20students
- EOA deadlines process:
- First Deadline: 8 May 2023. Date for expected answers to the application: 30 June 2023
- Second Deadline: 1 September 2023 (still possible via EASY as well).
- Application materials:
- Application form at EOA website
- Current CV
- Motivation letter
2 videos (via two links to platforms such as Youtube, Vimeo or similar). Both must be performed live without any audio/video post-production.
Participants are evaluated based on their participation in the online offer and the live courses. The module will culminate into a final performance with the enArtete repertoire by a selection of participants.
Total expenses of the EOA module per student:
- Taking part in the module is free but students need to pay for travel and accommodation themselves. They can apply for a grant at their home institution.
- 5 days: We can administratively support your application for a short blended mobility if your institution provides this offer.
- 1-3 months: regular Erasmus+ exchange grants
Accepted students must complete the following materials before arrival in Antwerp: