The Royal Conservatory Antwerp offers for 2022/2023:
Name and place of institution:
Royal Conservatoire, Antwerp – Belgium
Period of the EOA module in 2022 – 2023:
January—February—March 2023 (final performances might be April 1&2)
Only available for students from ERASMUS+ partner institutions (3 months)
Description of the module:
- Offenbach: La Périchole
This module offers 1 pianist specific training as repetiteur, aimed at pianists aspiring to work in the field of opera.This experience will take place in the stimulating environment of the deSingel Arts Campus.
Ideal for a pianist with limited prior experience in opera, this module includes:
- observing the production process from beginning to end, which includes attending all musical and scenic rehearsals, coachings and rehearsals, individual coachings of the cast, as well as related voice lessons.
- weekly lessons with the resident professor of collaborative piano on the relevant materials, focusing on developing the skills of a repetiteur: singing while playing, preparing the score musically/pianistically for rehearsal, developing a deeper understanding of vocal technique in order to effectively coach singers, coaching, working with conductor and director.
- French language coaching along with cast members.
- Along with current collaborative piano students at the Royal Conservatory Antwerp, the visiting pianist will play all scenic rehearsals, coachings and chorus rehearsals as merited.
- The pianist will receive weekly individual feedback, personalised advice and new assignments by the professor of collaborative piano.
- Optional courses from the list of Elective Courses at the Royal Conservatoire, Antwerp
The goal is to gain an in-depth familiarity with Offenbach’s operetta style while simultaneously learning and implementing, under expert supervision, the specialised skills and tools of a repetiteur. The module is an excellent introduction for a pianist to foster their interest in the operatic world and to develop that into a professional ability as repetiteur and coach. Participants will be fully welcomed into the regular student body of the Royal Conservatory Antwerp.
The cultural scene in Antwerp city encourages immersion into the professional international art scene on a daily basis. At deSingel Arts Campus, concerts and presentations by major international musicians, theatre and dance companies intermingle with lessons, bridging the gap between student and professional life.
In addition, the RCA music department fosters a strong affiliation with Opera Ballet Vlaanderen (OBV), providing opportunities to attend rehearsals and performances at their theatres in both Antwerp and Ghent.
Professors involved in this module:
Anne Cambier (French language coach)
Stijn Saveniers (conductor, music director and operetta specialist)
Stephan Weytjens (history)
Jeanne-Minette Cilliers (studienleiter: voice; collaborative piano)
Number of EOA students:
Number of ECTS credits:
Total 24 ECTS
– Accompaniment & coaching (6 ECTS)
– Advanced keyboard musicianship (3 ECTS)
– Opera (6 ECTS)
– Language coaching (3 ECTS)
– Music Practise (6 ECTS)
Duration of the Module
Number of teaching/production hours of the EOA module
About 20 hours per week.
Online Application process:
First Deadline: April 15, 2022
Second Deadline: September 15, 2022
Letter of Motivation
A video link (audio-visual recording) containing AT LEAST 2 pieces:
1 opera OR operetta aria performed live with a singer
1 piece (lied or opera), with a singer, in a style of your choice.
Both must be performed live without any audio / video post-production.
Our panel will review the material submitted and will communicate the results of the selection by 30 September 2022 (upon receipt of application documents).
Artistic evaluation over the 3 month period
Total expenses of the EOA module per student:
Free for students in the Erasmus Program, currently enrolled in a Bachelor, Master or third cycle degree (not available for postgraduates).
Students must provide their own accommodation, meals and traveling costs.
Accepted students must complete the following materials prior to arrival in Antwerp: