Period of the EOA module in 2020-2021:
January – February – March 2022
Only available for students from ERASMUS+ partner institutions (3 months)
Description of the module:
This module will explore the American Operatic Repertoire, frequently unknown to European singers and pianists. Standard repertory works by composers such as (among others) Samuel Barber, Carlisle Floyd, Douglas Moore, Gian-Carlo Menotti will be interwoven with modern additions from composers such as (among others) Mark Adamo, Jake Heggie, John Musto and Dominick Argento.
Through this wide-ranging and fascinating repertoire, participants will grow in their understanding of American English diction and its dialects, along with the influence of American literature, culture and history.
The module will conclude with a semi-staged Opera Scenes program, performed with the RCA Collaborative Piano studio + 1 EOA pianist.
The module is intended for:
- 1 mezzo-soprano
- 1 tenor
- 1 baritone
- 1 bass-baritone/bass
- 1 collaborative pianist
- Weekly Collaboration Class, focused on American repertoire
- Language coaching: details of American English diction
- Weekly voice lessons with our faculty
- Coachings with the studienleiter and other relevant coaches
- Acting and movement lessons
- Final performance of selected scenes, joined by pianists RCA Collaborative Piano programme and 1 EOA pianist.
What is unique about this module:
The cultural scene in Antwerp city encourages immersion into the professional international art scene on a daily basis. At deSingel Arts Campus, concerts and presentations by major international musicians, theatre and dance companies intermingle with lessons, bridging the gap between student life and profession.
- Jeanne-Minette Cilliers: Studienleiter for Voice, Head of Collaborative Piano, Repertoire coach
- Andrew Wise: English language coach
- Anne Cambier, Gary Jankowski, Andrew Richards, Susanne Schimmack: Voice teachers
- Stage director: TBA
Possible additions to the module:
Participants are encouraged to enroll in the accompanying Music History course on American Music. Singers are invited to the Opera Ballet Vlaanderen Kunsthuis Opera Vlaanderen to observe/take part in rehearsals as well as attend pré-general/general rehearsals of opera productions.
Number of EOA students:
1 collaborative pianist
Number of ECTS credits:
Duration of the module:
Number of teaching hours of the EOA modules:
- First round of application: on/before April 15th, 2020.
Teachers will review the material submitted and will communicate the results of the selection by May 15th, 2020 (upon receipt of application documents).
- Second round of application: on/ before 1st September, 2020.
Teachers will review the material submitted and will communicate the results of the selection by September 15th, 2020 (upon receipt of application documents).
Please include a video link as well as a CV and motivation letter with your application form.
- SINGERS: ONE aria of own choice in English (British or American) with piano.
- COLLABORATIVE PIANIST:
EITHER of the following:
- One work performed with a singer (aria or song), composed after 1950;
- One solo piano work, composed after 1950.
Artistic performance exam in the form of a staged opera scene performance, joined by the RCA Collaborative Piano studio + one EOA pianist.
Total expenses of the EOA module per student:
Free for students in Erasmus Program, currently studying for a Bachelor, Master, Postgraduate or third cycle degree.
Students must provide their own accommodation, meals and travelling costs.
Teaching language/Required level of language: English – B2