Period of the EOA module in 2020-2021
- September 21 – December 19 (13 weeks) 2020
Meet the Italian Belcanto tradition in the town that hosted the first operatic creation. An all-Italian experience on the operatic repertoire from Baroque to Verdi and Puccini. Voice lessons on style and technique, repertoire study with vocal coaches, Italian language and diction class, Opera class with acting and staging seminars, final concert with semi-staged performance of full operatic scenes.
- One leading role from an Opera in Italian
- A group of 3-4 arias in Italian, including recitativos and/or cabalettas ifpresent
- Ensembles from operas, includingrecitaitvos
Period of the EOA module in 2020-2021
All voice types
We give the participants the possibility to develop their skills in the Italian language and diction in a very practical approach. We will concentrate on interpretation and performance of the most important Italian belcanto styles, from the early baroque “recitar-cantando”, the classic recitativo secco, accompagnatoand virtuoso arias, to the Romantic “solita scena” (scena, aria and cabaletta) until the declamatory style of the late XIX composers (Verismo), depending on each singers vocal and musical needs. Our teachers and coaches have a long experience in the tuition of international students, as in our Vocal studies Faculty more than 50% of singers are from all the continents. Being in Firenze (Dante’s home town) allows you to absorb the good “reference” Italian diction directly from the people you will meet in the street, as the Florentine language is the basis of the modern Italian language.
Name(s) of the professor(s)
- Voice teachers: Ester Castriota, Donatella Debolini, Gianni Fabbrini, Anna Di Gennaro
- Italian Diction and Recitativos: Leonardo De Lisi
- Repertoire coaches: Antonella Bellettini, Ulla Casalini, Anna Toccafondi
- Opera class / Acting: Francesco Torrigiani
- History of Opera: Guglielmo Pianigiani
- Masterclass with renown singers and opera directors.
- Free entrance to rehearsals at Teatro del Maggio Musicale Fiorentino.
- On request, a short programme incl. city tour(s) concentrating on special ‘musical’ aspects of the city: Palazzo Pitti (where the first opera ever was staged in 1600, Peri’s “L’Euridice”), Accademia Bartolomeo Cristofori (historic pianos), Museo degli Uffizi, Galleria dell’Accademia, etc.
Minimum and maximum number of EOA students:
Number of teaching / production hours:
- 85 – 100h
Number of ECTS
3 months Module includes:
- “Voice lessons 1-to-1” 8 ECTS
- “Repertoire coaching with pianist” 4 ECTS
- Seminario “Il corpo vero” (acting) 4 ECTS
- “Opera class” (opera scenes staging) 4 ECTS
- “Italian Diction for singers” 2 ECTS
- “History of Opera” (Nov.-Dec.) lecture 3 ECTS
TOTAL 16 ECTS
3 months mobilities (until Dec. 21)
Choice of subjects among the following:
- Prassi esecutive e repertori: Canto (Voice, technique and repertoire), from Nov. 4, 6 hours 1-to-1 lessons, & Pratica del repertorio vocale/ Lettura dello spartito (Repertoire coaching with pianist), 4 ECTS
- Musica vocale da camera (Italian Art Song repertoire coaching), from Nov. 4, 10 hours group lessons, 2 ECTS
- Musica d’insieme per voci e strumenti antichi (Baroque voice and early music instruments ensemble), from Nov. 4, 10 hours group lessons, 2 ECTS
- Before April 30, 2020, by email only:
send a link
to a recent performance of yours (from not more than 1 year ago)
- 2 operatic arias/scenes in Italian from Baroque to Puccini (it also includes concert arias in Italian)
- A brief curriculum and a complete list of studied (or performed) vocal repertoire / roles in Italian (only word or pdf file, please, or link to personal artistic website)
- By May 15, 2020, candidates will receive a response about selection. If successfully selected, students will be required to confirm their choice before June30.
Description of the final Examination:
- Module: Semi-staged operatic scenes and recital with arias/songs in public concerts at the end of the module
- Erasmus mobility : each class will award a note of evaluation by the teacher and ECTs cretis
Teaching language/ Required level of language:
- Italian (main)
- English (secondary)
We require that EOA students have a minimum B1 Italian language level.
Total expenses of the EOA module per student and what is included / excluded in this price:
- Erasmus mobility: no tuition fee
- Non Erasmus mobility (contract): 903,24€, including insurance (to be paid by bank transfer before August 31, 2020)