Period of the EOA module in 2020-2021
January – February – March 2021
Only available for students from ERASMUS+ partner institutions (3 months)
Description of the module: W.A. Mozart: Don Giovanni
In this intensive 3-month course, students will experience a complete opera production, from the first musical rehearsals to the fully staged performances of the opera in the theatre. The singers will be accompanied by the student symphony orchestra of the Royal Conservatory Antwerp.
This experience will take place in the stimulating environment of the deSingel Arts Campus.
The module is intended for: 1 tenor, 2 baritones, 1 bass-baritone, and 1 bass in the roles of Don Ottavio, Don Giovanni, Leporello, Masetto and the Commendatore. This opera will be double cast using both current students at The Royal Conservatory Antwerp and selected applicants of this module. The objectives are the mastering of vocal and artistic challenges inherent in these roles, the musical and dramatic preparation thereof, and the search for individual interpretative concepts. The course will help singers develop their knowledge of Mozart’s operatic repertoire and provide a full immersion into the style, performance and Italian language preparation.
This will consist of:
- Individual voice lessons with the voice faculty.
- Coachings with the head of collaborative piano and other relevant coaches.
- Acting and stage movement lessons.
- Italian language coaching.
- Musical rehearsals with the conductor, pianists, and continuo.
- Scenic rehearsals with the stage director, conductor and pianists.
- At least one full performance of the opera.
- Cultural background of opera via a music history module (English).
- Participants will interact with the regular students of the conservatory.
The cultural scene in Antwerp city encourages immersion into the professional international art scene on a daily basis. At deSingel Arts Campus, concerts and presentations by major musicians, theatre and dance companies intermingle with lessons, bridging the gap between student life and profession.
In addition, the music department is strongly connected with Opera Ballet Vlaanderen: Don Giovanni conductor Jan Schweiger is chorus master for Opera Ballet Vlaanderen, while professor of collaborative piano Jeanne-Minette Cilliers was a long-time repetiteur on the Opera Ballet Vlaanderen staff.
- Sabrina Avantario (Italian language coach)
- Korneel Bernolet (continuo)
- Jeanne-Minette Cilliers (head of collaborative piano, opera coach, repetiteur)
- Guy Joosten (scenic interpretation lessons)
- Koen Kessels (coach piano accompaniment)
- Jan Schweiger (conductor, music director)
- Voice teachers: Anne Cambier, Gary Jankowski and Andrew Richards TBA (music history module related to opera)
Possible additions to the module:
Singers are invited to the Opera Ballet Vlaanderen to observe/take part in rehearsals as well as attend pré-general/general rehearsals of opera productions.
Courses from the list of Elective Courses at the Royal Conservatoire, Antwerp
Number of EOA students:
- 1 tenor (Don Ottavio)
- 2 baritones (Don Giovanni, Masetto)
- 1 bass-baritone (Leporello)
- 1 bass (Commendatore)
Number of ECTS credits: 24 ECTS
- Opera (6 ECTS)
- Language coaching (3 ECTS)
- Voice (6 ECTS)
- Music Practice (6 ECTS)
- Music history module related to opera (3 ECTS)
Number of teaching/production hours of the EOA module:
Up to 20 hours/week
First round of application: on/before April 15, 2020.
Teachers will review the material submitted and will communicate the results of the selection by May 15, 2020 (upon receipt of application documents).
Second round of application: on/ before 1 September, 2020.
Teachers will review the material submitted and will communicate the results of the selection by September 15, 2020 (upon receipt of application documents).
Please include a video link as well as a CV and motivation letter with your application form.
The video (audio-visual recording) must contain at least 2 arias / scenes (1st one, Italian Mozart, preferably from Don Giovanni, the 2nd one in any language and style) performed live in without any audio / video post-production.
Artistic performance exam in the form of the opera performance(s), accompanied by the student symphony orchestra of the Royal Conservatory Antwerp.
Total expenses of the EOA module per student:
Free for students in Erasmus Program, currently studying for a Bachelor, Master or third cycle degree. (Not available for Postgraduates)
Students must provide their own accommodation, meals and travelling costs.
Teaching language/Required level of language: English – B2