Period of the EOA module in 2022-2023:
ERASMUS students (SMS) may choose a mobility within one semester (or both)
- Winter semester: 1st October 2022 – 2nd week of February 2023
- Spring semester: 3rd week of February 2023 – 30th June 2023
Description of the EOA Module
This module guides the student to master the complex and difficult art of the piano accompaniment in opera.
- Performance practice and repertoire (individual lessons, on specific operas according to student’s needs and choices, main opera repertoire, analysis, study and practice on chosen opera scores, different (vocal) accompaniment techniques according to different music styles)
- Répétiteur and coach techniques (theoretical and practical lessons on the basso continuo, as a stage-rehearsal accompanist, how to play under direction)
- Specialised practice (vocal repertoire: chamber music and opera scores)
- Score playing (reading piano- and orchestra opera scores)
- Little practical internship in Singing lessons and Scenic Art lessons (different needs, different skills)
- Possible participation in Masterclass(es), essays and concerts as a piano accompanist.
Classes will be held in Italian and English.
ERASMUS students might have to choose other courses among those annually proposed by the Conservatory, to reach the total number of required credits.
Specialty of this module in comparison with other courses in Europe
This module represents a perfect opportunity to get to know and experience the tools to become an Opera accompanist, in a welcoming atmosphere of exchange and collaboration with the other students of the Conservatory, from all over the world.
A unique chance to fully immerse themselves in the rich operatic music culture of the territory, attending places of unique musical interest, within the Conservatory (Musical Section of Libreria Palatina, Boito’s Studio and Toscanini’s Studio) or in the immediate nearby of it (the Library of the Instituto Nazionale di Studi Verdiani, specialised in 19th century opera and music in general, with particular emphasis on the life and work of Giuseppe Verdi, the Museo dell’Opera, the Casa della Musica, Teatrio Regio, etc.).
Possible extras in addition to this module:
Upon request a little tour of the main “music treasures” of Verdi’s land: the birthplace of Verdi and Villa Sant’Agata, the Toscanini Museum, the world renowned Teatro Regio, the beautiful Teatro Farnese (17th century), the Casa del Suono, etc. Opportunity to join Italian Course level A2+B1 in the first semester or English Course level B1 or B2 in second semester.
A maximum of 2 pianists (EOA students)
Name(s) of the professor(s) of this module:
- Nicola Mottaran (Coordinator of Piano accompaniment)
- Fabio Ferrucci (Tutor)
- Teaching staff from the Singing and Music Theatre Department of the Conservatory
Description of final examination:
30 minutes performance in piano accompaniment of voice and/or opera scenes
Number of ECTS withiin master accreditation
Min 24 ECTS/semester (but possibly increasing according to the Learning Agreement)
Online examination through the Application, that needs to include:
- Motivational letter (optional)
- 15th April 2022
- 15th September 2022
Teaching language/Required level of language
Italian (min A2 to be improved) and English (B2)
Total expenses of the EOA module per student and what is included/excluded in this price
Erasmus students (SMS) only. No extra fees.