Period of the EOA module in 2022-2023:
Autumn semester 2022:
- August 29th – October 30th 2022 (possible extension to 15/1 2023
- 1 to 3 vocal students
In this module, the singer students explore how working in other venues and spaces than the opera theatre can influence the music-dramatic expression.
The students work on selected Opera scenes with a stage director and an opera coach/pianist, and bring their work into the chosen venue to stage a performance for a small audience. The students, together with the teachers, take an active part in deciding how to use the chosen space and how to place the audience in the chosen space.
Recently the venue has been the “Reactor Hall” of the Stockholm institute of Technology, an underground former nuclear reactor plant, now an exciting cultural venue for the Institute of Technology.
The module, besides the stage work in preparation for the performance, includes singing lessons, musical interpretation sessions.
It also includes coaching in Italian lyric diction where appropriate to the chosen repertoire. The repertoire is for the performance is chosen in June and will be based on the vocal and dramatic needs of the students.
The module can be extended to include the entire term into December with work on a staged concert with conductor and piano or orchestra.
Name(s) of the professor(s) of this module:
- Stina Ancker, Assistant professor of music dramatic performance
- Christine Morgan, Assistant professor of musical performance
Number of ECTS:
- 13,5-30 ECTS (ca. 120 hours)
- Seminars on aspects of opera as an art form and of the opera singer’s profession
- seminars on artistic research
We choose our EOA-students via recorded material. With the application we need recordings of sound and video. Formats:
- Sound: Wav or AIFF
- Video: Mov or mp4
Description of final examination:
Students are examined:
- through the staged performance in the chosen space
- through the staged concert and a subsequent reflective discussion in the group and individually
Teaching language/ Required level of language:
Communication language: English B2
Total expenses of the EOA module per student and what is included / excluded in this price:
It is against Swedish legislation to charge for public higher education.
Students must provide their own accommodation, meals and traveling costs.