Period of the EOA module in 2021-2022:
Autumn semester 2021:
- 30th of August-19th of December 2021 (possible extension until 16th of January 2022)
1-3 vocal students
Explore the connections between language, music, acting and movement through scenes from Italian Opera and recitative. You will work with language, musical performance, acting, vocal skills and stage movement in parallel, often with several teachers cooperating in the same session. The module will contain:
- Investigation of the influence of language on stage thought, action and performance
- vocal coaching and musical preparation of opera scenes in original language, individually and in group
- Practical role analysis and stage work
- Stage movement classes
- An intensive course focusing on the secco recitative. The course gives methods for preparation, musically and language-wise, as well as methods for achieving spontaneity and meaning in the performance of recitative through improvisational methods
- Performing arias and select ensembles in a concert with orchestra
- Performing opera scenes with piano in our studio theatre
The repertoire is selected to suit the students in the course. The repertoire will be discussed and decided in June.
Name(s) of the professor(s) of this module:
- Patrik Sörling, stage director, assistant professor of stage movement
- Giuseppina Penta, language coach, senior lecturer of Italian lyric diction
- Martin Hellström, assistant professor of musical interpretation
Number of ECTS:
ca. 120 hours
Possible extra’s beside the module:
- Seminars on aspects of opera as an artform and of the opera singer’s profession.
- Seminars on performance psychology for singers
We choose our EOA-students via recorded material. With the application we need recordings of sound and video. Formats:
- Sound: Wav or AIFF
- Video: Mov or mp4
Description of the final Examination:
Students are examined through the performance of the Italian opera scenes, the concert with orchestra and through a reflective seminar.
Teaching language/ Required level of language:
Communication language: EN, level 5
Total expenses of the EOA module per student and what is included / excluded in this price:
It is against Swedish legislation to charge for public higher education, except for students outside of EES.