Period of the EOA module in 2022-2023:
- January 23rd, 2023 – April 31st, 2023
Meet the Italian Belcanto tradition in the town that hosted the first operatic creation. An all-Italian experience on the operatic repertoire from Baroque to Verdi and Puccini. Voice lessons on style and technique, repertoire study with vocal coaches, Italian language and diction class, Opera class with acting and staging seminars, final concert with semi-staged performance of full operatic scenes.
- One leading role from an Opera in Italian
- A group of 3-4 arias in Italian, including recitativos and/or cabalettas if present and full scenes and ensembles from operas
All voice types
Specialty of this module in comparison with other courses in Europe
We give the participants the possibility to develop their skills in the Italian language and diction in a very practical approach. We will concentrate on interpretation and performance of the most important Italian belcanto styles, from the early baroque “recitar-cantando”, the classic recitativo secco, accompagnato and virtuoso arias, to the Romantic “solita scena” (scena, aria and cabaletta) until the declamatory style of the late XIX composers (Verismo), depending on each singer vocal and musical needs. Our teachers and coaches have a long experience in the tuition of international students, as in our Vocal studies Faculty more than 50% of singers are from all the continents. Being in Firenze (Dante’s home town) allows you to absorb the good “reference” Italian diction directly from the people you will meet in the street, as the Florentine language is the basis of the modern Italian language.
Name(s) of the professor(s)
- Voice teachers: Ester Castriota, Donatella Debolini, Gianni Fabbrini, Nemi Bertagni, M. Costanza Nocentini
- Repertoire coaches: Antonella Bellettini, Ulla Casalini, Anna Toccafondi, Elisabetta Sepe, Andrea Severi, Daniela Freschi
- Opera class / Acting: Francesco Torrigiani
- Italian Diction: Francesco Torrigiani, Leonardo De Lisi
- History of Opera: Guglielmo Pianigiani
- Baroque vocal ensemble: Santina Tomasello
- Chamber music & vocal ensembles: Leonardo De Lisi
Masterclass with renown singers and opera directors.
Free entrance to rehearsals at Teatro del Maggio Musicale Fiorentino.
A short programme (incl. city tour) concentrating on special ‘musical’ aspects of the city: Palazzo Pitti (where Peri’s “L’Euridice” was created), Accademia Bartolomeo Cristofori (historic pianos), Museo degli Uffizi, Galleria dell’Accademia, etc.
Minimum and maximum number of EOA students:
Number of teaching / production hours:
Up to 20 hours/week
Number of ECTS within master:
3 months Module will award 24 ECTS
- “Vocal technique and repertoire” 1-to-1 lessons, 6 ECTS
- “Repertoire coaching with pianist” 1-to-1 lessons, 3 ECTS
- “Opera class” (opera scenes staging), 3 ECTS
- “Italian Diction for singers” lecture, 3 ECTS
- “History of Opera” lecture, 3 ECTS
- “Chamber music & vocal esemble” group, 3 ECTS
- “Baroque vocal ensemble” group, 3 ECTS
ONLY Erasmus mobilities for studies or traineeship from EOA partners will be accepted
Before April 15th, 2022, by email firstname.lastname@example.org only:
- Please, send a link to a recent performance of yours (from not more than 1 year ago) including at least: 2 operatic arias/scenes in Italian from Baroque to Puccini (it also includes concert arias in Italian)
- A brief curriculum and a complete list of studied (or performed) vocal repertoire / roles in Italian (only word or pdf file, please, or link to personal artistic website)
By May 15th, candidates will receive a response about selection. If successfully selected, students will be required to confirm their choice before June 30th.
Description of the final Examination:
- Module: semi-staged operatic scenes and recital with arias/songs in public concerts at the end of the module
- Erasmus mobility: each class will award a note of evaluation by the teacher and ECTs
Teaching language/ Required level of language:
- Italian (main)
- English (secondary)
- We require that EOA students have a minimum B1 Italian language level.
Total expenses of the EOA module per student and what is included / excluded in this price:
Erasmus mobility: no tuition fee
Students must provide their own accommodation, meals and traveling costs.
Prof. Leonardo De Lisi