In this Blended Intensive Programme the IUA’s Music department created a workshop to train young opera singers on how to prepare and work on Mozart-ensemble. For this BIP, IUA Reykjavík has worked together with SKH Stockholm and ESMAE Porto.
Overview of the course:
Period: autumn semester, 26.-30. September 2022
Subject: Big ensembles from Mozart operas*:
Deadline for applications: 20th April 2022
Voice / roles:
- 7 sopranos
- 2 mezzo-sopranos
- 3 tenors
- 3 baritons
- 3 bass baritons
- 3 bass
Don Giovanni – Finale I, no.13
“Presto, presto, pria ch´ei venga”
- Masetto (bass baritone)
- Donna Anna (soprano)
- Donna Elvira (mezzosoprano)
- Don Ottavio (tenor)
- Don Giovanni (baritone)
- Zerlina (soprano)
- Leporello (bass baritone)
Così fan tutte – Finale I, no.18
“Ah! Che tutta in un momento”
- Fiordiligi (soprano)
- Dorabella (mezzosoprano)
- Despina (soprano)
- Fernando (tenor)
- Gugliemo (baritone)
- Don Alfonso (bass baritone)
Le nozze di Figaro – Finale 2.act, no.16
“Signori, di fuori…”
- Susanna (soprano)
- La Contessa (soprano)
- Marcellina (soprano),
- Basilio (tenor)
- Il Conte (baritone)
- Antonio (bass)
- Bartolo (bass)
- Figaro (bass)
How is the Blended Intensive programme organised?
The Blended Intensive Programme consists of 3-week virtual component and 1-week Physical activity organised as follows:
Online lectures: 1 x week, a total of 3 sessions
- Week #1 – online lectures: Getting to know the story/caracters. How to prepare?
- Week #2 – online lecture: Getting to know the style/Mozart. How to sing?
- Week #3 – online lecture: Getting to know the language. How to sing italian?
Students will get 3-4 online lectures and assignments to prepare before the intensive work-week in Reykjavík. Each participant will work individually on the project as well as in collaboration with with each other. They will get training in character development, and the incorporation of foreign language in opera while working as part of an ensemble. This component also relies on the students forming groups around each scene(project) and collaborating independently online so they can make the most of their learning during the intensive week in Reykjavik.
Intensive Opera Workshop, from 26th to 30th September, 2022
- Week #4 – Intensive Opera-Workshop in Reykjavik
This Opera-Workshop is about working as you would in an operatheater, re-exploring familiar opera-ensembles and find a way to surprise and challenge ourselfs. This is also an opportunity getting to know each other, getting to know different approaches and culture and building up collaboration and network. The future aim is that the opera-workshop will become a regular collaboration between music universities in Europe in the years to come.
On-site teaching, preparation in each partner institution
Teaching location: IUA Reykjavík, Skipholt 31, music department, Dynjandi lecture hall
Participants: Students of the IUA singing program as well as at least 15 travelling students from partner schools run by EOA.
The coursework includes:
- Language /diction work
- Translation, basic music-dramatic structure
- Musical work with coach, conductor, voice-teachers
- Exploring the possibilities for basic dramaturgy in the scenes, with the help of movement and improvisation
- playing with movement and communication between the singers
- Carolien Drewes (Correpetiteur den Haag)
- Matthildur Anna Gísladóttir (Correpetiteur Vocal Performance IUA)
- Ólöf Ingólfsdóttir (Bodywork, movement, Reykjavík)
- Martin Hellström (Stockholm University for the arts, opera department)
- Hanna Dóra Sturludóttir (IUA, Head of Vocal Performance)
- Antonio Salgado (Head of Vocal studies at ESMAE, Porto)
- N.N. conductor (ESMAE, Porto)
IUA has recieved organistional support from ERASMUS BIP Funding to develop this programme.
The sending institutions will apply for their own ERASMUS KA131 for the mobility of their participants.