Period of the EOA module in 2022-23:
October 5th, 2022 – January 31st, 2023
Description of the module:
A.Vocal Performance with Technical Supervision
The aim of this section of the module (considering POR 1A and PORB as a whole) is to facilitate vocal improvement through the use of improvisation, movement, emotional arousal accurate vocal technique in accordance with the preparation and performance of specialised operatic repertoire (from Baroque to Contemporary repertoire. Special attention will be given to technical problems, vocal characterisation, style and interpretation as well as performance practices. The focus of this module will also be on vocal improvement and on vocal technique within the preparation and performance of operatic roles. The emphasis is on artistry and the process of the vocal training through the preparation of operatic roles). Other genres of vocal repertoire such as Lied, Song and Chanson may also be part of a specialised vocal study. This module has as the goal to enable the student autonomy, both in achieving methodological processes as well as the consolidation of a vocal as well as an artistic identity.
Specialty of this module in comparison with other courses in Europe
METHODOLOGY: IMPROVISATION, MOVEMENT, VOCALITY AND E-MOTION AROUSAL AS A BODY AND VOCAL APPROACH TO OPERA SINGING AND OPERA MAKING
Name(s) of the professor(s) of this module:
António Salgado and Rui Taveira
Possible extras beside the module
Students may attend one, or both, of these theoretical seminars on the subject of Opera and Performance:
- Opera communication systems in history and in actuality: a sociological approach. Seminar given by Prof. Dr. Mário Vieira de Carvalho – member of the Administrative Counsel of the European Music Theatre Academy and President of CESEM – Center of Sociology and Musical Aesthetics Studies
- The Psychology of Performance – The underlying psychology to the study of operatic roles and other issues in opera. This Seminar will be given by Prof. Dr. Daniela Coimbra (PhD) – Professor on Psychology of Music, at ESMAE.
Besides that, Porto is a culturally interesting and beautiful city. Here you can profit from the musical and cultural activity at Casa da Música of Porto, a very active cultural point in the city, as well as the Teatro Nacional de São João, Rivoli Theatre and the Coliseum of Porto.
Minimum and maximum number of EOA students
1-3 vocal students
Number of teaching/production hours of the EOA module
10-12 hours individual tuition
Number of ECTS within master accreditation
- Two video recording or link to video recording
- 15th April 2022
Description of final examination
Public performance on stage with piano
English – level 3
Total expenses of the EOA
- This module is only available within Erasmus exchange (Master´s level), during the academic year 2022/23.
- Students must provide their own accommodation, meals and traveling costs