Period of the EOA module in 2021-2022:
September – December 2021 (Total length: 12 weeks)
8 singers (min. 6, max. 10 singers)
The module is open to all vocal types
Description of the Module:
The Rossini Lab is an EOA module founded by Maestro Giovanni Botta and is addressed to singers who wish to study and deepen their Rossinian repertoire. The main purpose of the module a.k.a R-Lab is to provide the students with a methodological approach to correctly perform and interpret Rossini arias. The module can be held and scheduled according to the specific requests of the students. It includes individual and group lessons and focuses on Rossini’s repertoire. This year particular attention will be given to the opera “Cambiale di Matrimonio”. At the end of the workshop, students will sing in a final performance on stage. According to circumstances such performance will either be a recital of selected Rossini arias or a complete version of the “Cambiale di matrimonio”. Students will therefore have the possibility to sing a professionally staged opera with orchestra in a well-known theater (Teatro Coccia di Novara, official partner of R-Lab).
Together with voice and acting classes, this module includes a theoretical, musicological and practical introduction to aesthetics and philosophy in Rossinian voices, which aims to find a consistent awareness framework of the vocal gesture and achieve an articulated and steady synergy to correctly perform Rossini’s musical and vocal grammar. Experienced teachers and Rossini performers such as M. Giovanni Botta and M. Mirca Rosciani will accompany the students during the module. The R-Lab aims to address countless problems singers can have when facing Rossini’s works and represents an answer to an urgent question: “how to sing Rossini today?”. The module aims to develop constellations of senses and references to epistemologically and aesthetically analyze Rossini’s music. The R-Lab project has drawn on precious teachings gained by rediscovering Rossini by means of the Rossini Opera Festival. Among other primary inspirations: the contributions and scientific research brought about by Fondazione Rossini and Maestro Alberto Zedda’s legacy.
The course will be divided into different modules and will involve the participation of several teachers:
Main teacher and artistic director:
- M. Giovanni Botta (CV)
- Mirca Rosciani (pianist and orchestra conductor with over twenty years of experience at the Rossini Opera Festival)
- Ilaria Narici (scientific director of the Fondazione Rossini of Pesaro and main director of the Rossini Critical Edition project). She will hold seminars on Musicology and Aesthetics in Rossini’s Music.
- Maestro Ernesto Palacio (acclaimed Rossini-tenor and teacher as well as superintendent and artistic director of the Rossini Opera Festival). He will give voice perfecting lessons.
- Danilo Boaretto (chief editor of the online critical magazine operaclick.com). He will give classes on self-management for singers.
The Rossini Lab will moreover provide a rehearsal piano accompanist (Yurei Wang, the official piano accompanist of the R-Lab) and an internal professional interpreter (Irene Maccolini) who, if necessary, will translate the lessons’ contents into English, and will teach Italian diction to our students
The workshop includes a self-managing study session which focuses on self-management for young opera singers.
Key contents of the R-Lab:
- Philosophy and aesthetics of Rossinian vocal music
- Specific topics and problems in Rossini’s vocal works
- A technical, methodological and interpretative vocal approach to Rossini’s style
- Monographic study – “Cambiale di Matrimonio”
- Self-Managing for young opera singers
- Voice classes (individual lessons with voice teacher)
- Practice with vocal coaches (Individual lessons with vocal coach and voice teacher)
- Operatic practice
- Stage performance
- Italian diction (Italian language coaching)
Operatic practice / Coaching / Training
EN/IT, an interpreter IT/EN/DE will attend the classes and will be available for non-Italian speakers.
Number of teaching/production hours of the EOA module:
Number of ECTS within master accreditation:
Maximum 30 ECTS
- Performance on stage (Teatro Coccia-Novara): Full opera performance and Interpretation of the “Cambiale di Matrinomonio” or a final concert with selected arias from the Rossini repertoire.
You need to apply via the EOA website.
You need to include:
- Your CV
- Your repertoire
- Two videos with two Rossini’s aria (for those interested in participating in the “Cambiale di Matrimonio” performance one of the two videos must be taken from this opera).
Deadline for application:
31st May, 2021
Total expenses of the EOA module per student:
Everything is included according to Erasmus diaria