Period of the EOA module in 2023-2024
11 March to 11 July 2024
Description of the module
Preparation of an Opera Performance in fully staged Opera Production with orchestra in Porto – Costume, Set and Light Desing
Stage Design is, of course, divided according to specialties (Costume, Set and Light Design), and the aim of each module now offered within each specialty is to facilitate technical and artistry improvement through the use of different and specialised techniques and knowledge, according to the philosophy of building up costumes, sets and light designs within the preparation and performance of specialised operatic repertoire (from Baroque to Contemporary repertoire). The emphasis is on artistry within the process of making an opera. Each year there will be a different Opera Production which will be the aim (Part B) and consequence of this Module development (Part A). This module (within the different specialties now offered) has as the goal to enable the student autonomy, both in achieving methodological processes as well as the consolidation of a Stage Design and an artistic identity. This process will bring the student a new approach to Opera and Opera making, and it will enable the student to experience a live performance in front of an audience.
This Module is only open for those students that have done the module POR 3A and, though, have acquired the knowledge and experience necessary and sufficient to be able to construct costumes, scenery, and light designs work for the out coming opera production. Or, for those who can demonstrate through portfolios their ability and knowledge in the construction of costumes, sets and light designs.
The opera Production for 23-24 Preview:
- Canto Lusitano by António Vitorino de Almeida
The Opera for this year is still in negotiation with National Theatres.
Until 20 ECTS 10 -12 hours individual tuition & 45 hours group work
Description of final examination: full staged Opera.
Possible extras: Students may attend one, or both, of these theoretical seminars on the subject of Opera Performance:
- Opera communication systems in history and in actuality: a sociological approach. Seminar given by Prof. Dr. Francisco Melo – Professor of History and Esthetics, at ESMAE
- The Psychology of Performance – The underlying psychology to the study of operatic roles and other issues in opera. This Seminar will be given by Prof. Dr. Daniela Coimbra (PhD) – Professor on Psychology of Music, at ESMAE.
Portfolio – Interview
Video recording or link to video recording
Description of the final examination
Public performance on stage with piano
English – level 3
Total expenses of the EOA
1) This module is available within Erasmus exchange (Master´s level) only during the academic year 2023/24.
2) Prices are applicable for 2023-2024.
3) Prices do not include travel or living expenses
Deadline for application:
- 1st deadline: 8 May 2023. Answers from EOA are expected on 8 June 2023
- 2nd deadline: 1 September 2023. Answers on 15 September 2023