Period of the EOA module in 2023-2024:
- 1-10 February 2024
- 4 – 10 EOA students
International Opera Creation, Improvisation and Performance Incubator (OCIS) invites singers, composers, music and theatre performers, as well as other artists (directors, visual and media artists, writers, etc.) to develop contemporary opera/musical theatre projects during the period of two intensive weeks in Vilnius in February of 2023.
Two types of applications are open:
a) application for (not necessarily limited to) composers to submit creative contemporary opera/musical theatre ideas, as well as conceptual ideas for co-creation to be developed;
b) application for performers and other artists to work on the implementation of innovative music theatre ideas in an inter- and multidisciplinary setting.
Applicants are invited to submit original, potent creative ideas and concepts which expand the traditional opera genre boundaries, cross-over into multi-disciplinary and interdisciplinary contexts. Participants are expected to be open to co-operation while developing and performing selected creative projects. OCIS welcomes such ideas and projects as (excerpts of) short opera, performing arts production, sound or interdisciplinary installation, contemporary music theatre, musical action, as well as other forms of inter- and multidisciplinary works that expand on artistic expression, explore new ways and spaces, cultural and social contexts, promote innovative communication with audience and similar.
There are no limitations concerning voice types or instruments for performers.
OCIS will provide an assistance in concept and creative development, implementation, performance coaching, and production by the team of teachers from The Royal Conservatoire Antwerp, Lithuanian Academy of Music and Theatre, School of Music and Performing Arts, ESMAE P. PORTO. Projects are welcome to make use of music technology if required. Consultation and support will be provided by Music Innovation Studies Centre of the LMTA.
Speciality of this module, in comparison with other courses in Europe
Joint module – intensive course (2 weeks) that will be implemented in cooperation of the three higher education institutions – the Royal Conservatoire Antwerp, LMTA and ESMAE.
Development and production of the creative projects in the OCIS is unique to the EOA network, it builds on experience of Erasmus+ Strategic Partnership EOALAB and experience of LMTA in developing and running similar projects. Incubator promotes diverse approaches in the context of musical theatre, aims to develop creativity, improvisation, and performance skills, inter- and multidisciplinary cooperation, production and cultural entrepreneurship.
It is expected, that after participation in this module, all students:
- Will have learned about different types/forms of a musical theatre;
- Will have developed creative and intercultural communication skills;
- Will be able to demonstrate good communication skills;
- Will be able to cooperate with a team of international artists by creating, co-creating, rehearsing and presenting artistic projects.
It is expected, that after participation in this module, performance students:
- Will have developed extended performing techniques;
- Will have developed performing skills and will demonstrate stage presence individually and in a team of interdisciplinary artists.
It is expected, that after participation in this module, composition, directing and production students:
- Will be able to develop innovative creative interdisciplinary concepts;
- Will be able to transform a creative concept into a musical-theatrical composition.
- Creative workshop and production / composers, singers, instrumental musicians, producers, directors, other artists / English language
Name(s) of the professor(s) of this module
- Vykintas Bieliauskas (composition, performance, conducting)
- Prof. Mantautas Krukauskas (composition, production, music technology)
- Prof. Gabrielė Labanauskaitė (dramaturgy, script writing)
- Arnas Mikalkėnas (composition, improvisation)
- Prof. Dr. Bruno Pereira (performance, improvisation)
- Prof. Steven Prengels (composition, interdisciplinary work, music direction)
- Antonio Salgado (performance).
Additional experts can be involved based on the requirements of the creative projects.
Possible extras besides the module:
- Courses from the list of Elective courses at LMTA: https://lmta.lt/en/lmta-welcomes-foreign-students/exange-students/
Number of teaching /production hours of the EOA module
- 160 hours (of which 32 contact hours and 128 individual work hours (bachelor students);
- 133 hours (of which 32 contact hours and 101 individual work hours (master students)
Number of ECTS
- 5 credits
Description of the final examination
- Examination or Pass/Fail
(required minimum: 80% attendance of practical training classes)
Entrance examination: week number, place
- Creative project applications (if applicable, free format) should be attached during EOA registration. Evaluation takes 2 weeks. Selection results will be sent to all applicants.
Total expenses of the EOA module per student
- Selected applicants are welcome with support of Erasmus or Nordplus student mobility grants. Exchange students do not pay tuition fee.
- Fee for non-exchange (free mover) students is 320 Eur.
Deadline for application:
- 1st deadline: 08 May 2023
- 2nd deadline: 01 September 2023
Date for expected answers:
- 2 weeks after the application